AGC of St. Louis 

1915

Master Builders Association formed by revitalizing a building contractor’s organization started in 1903.

1917
The Municipal Contractors Association was formed.

1920
The St. Louis Chapter of the AGC was formed by application of the Master Builders Association to AGC of America.

1950
After sharing the same facilities and staff for a number of years, the above organizations, both affiliated with the AGC of America, merged to form the AGC of St. Louis.  There were 72 Contractor Members and provision was made for Affiliate Members.  Chapter jurisdiction included all work in St. Louis City and County and building construction only in Franklin, Jefferson, Lincoln, St. Charles and Warren Counties. The assignment of bargaining rights for all job site labor was a condition of membership.

1963
Provisions were added to the AGC labor agreements to create the Construction Training Advancement Foundation (CTAF) at the rate of 1¢ per hour for Carpenters and Laborers and 2¢ for Cement Masons, Iron Workers and Operating Engineers.  Teamsters were added a few years later.

1970
Bylaws were amended to require assignment of bargaining rights by employers of AFL/CIO and Teamsters employees thereby making it possible for open shop contractors to become members.

1971
The Associate Member category was established for employers doing more than one half of their annual volume as a subcontractor and with the majority of their field personnel from one or more of the six basic trades.  Any Associate Member was also given the option of becoming a Contractor Member.

1972
AGC participated as one of the founding organizations in PRIDE, a group designed to promote cooperative labor/management relations.

1980
With the concurrence of the Kansas City Building Chapter, the AGC of America granted building jurisdiction for 19 counties in Southeast Missouri to the AGC of St. Louis.

1985
Bylaws were amended to require assignment of bargaining rights for AFL/CIO only in St. Louis City and County thereby making assignment of bargaining rights optional in the five counties around St. Louis County and the 19 counties in Southeast Missouri.

1987
Bylaws were amended to permit architects and engineers to become Affiliate Members.

1990
Bylaws were amended to make the assignment of bargaining rights optional in St.Louis City and County.

Bylaws were amended to permit any subcontractor to become an Associate Member.
Only Associate Members with the majority of their field personnel from one or more of the six basic trades could become a Contractor Member.

1996
Bylaws were amended to redefine categories of membership as Contractor, Specialty Contractor, and Supplier Service Provider.  Membership categories were based on percentages of work performed as a prime contractor.

1998
Incorporated AGC of St. Louis Education Foundation, 501(c) 3 non-profit corporation.

2000
AGC of St. Louis was recognized with AGC of America’s highest award for chapter performance, the AGC Chapter of the Year.

2001
Opened Construction Careers Center charter high school and incorporated the
Construction Careers Center Board of Education, Inc., 501(c) 3

2003
Awarded the “Sold on St. Louis Award” for the Construction Careers Center.  Amended the Bylaws to re-define membership for construction managers and program managers.

2006
Received the inaugural AGC of America Diversity Award.  Received the Workforce Development Award from the Construction Users Roundtable.  Restructured the Board of Directors to include 15 contractor members and one representative each from the newly created Specialty Contractors Council and Supplier / Service Providers Council.

2007
AGC of St. Louis was recognized with AGC of America’s highest award for chapter performance, the 2006 AGC Chapter of the Year.  AGC of St. Louis became the first chapter to win this award twice.

2008
AGC of St. Louis and Heavy Constructors Association of Kansas City completed the establishment of a jointly operated Missouri Chapter of ARTBA.

2009
AGC of St. Louis signed an agreement to be affiliated with The Association of Union Constructors.

2010
Bylaws were amended to include new membership categories and service levels including construction managers, industry partners, contributing members (CTAF), and individual members.

2013
Adopted a divisional structure to clearly define a Building Division and a Heavy/Highway/Infrastructure Division.

AGC of Missouri

November, 1925

Under the direction of E. C. L. Wagner, AGC of Missouri is born, with a charter membership of 19 contractors 

1936
“Affiliate” members are invited to join AGC of Missouri with annual dues of $25 per year

1940
AGC of Missouri negotiated the first labor agreements with three unions. AGC was acting for those of its members who wished to sign a union labor agreement. The agreements covered only a limited number of counties.

November 1969
AGC Moved to 111 Madison Street Building

1970
Missouri Construction Industry Advancement Fund (MCIAF) is established.

1986
First AGC MO PAC Auction held

June 2000
AGC moves to 1221 Jefferson Street Building

2002
AGC Electronic Plan Room established

2009
AGC Hall of Fame established: Irvin Garms and Bill Herzog inducted
2014
Completed merger arrangements with AGC of St. Louis and AGC of Missouri, merging the two chapters under the name AGC of Missouri.